Thursday 24 March 2016

Socks - I will not be defeated!! - Part 1

I have written this post in parts as I have completed this project and will post the entire thing when it is complete. I have dated each part to show the process.

17.3.2016 - I know I mention my LYS (Local Yarn Shop) a lot but that is where I get lots of my inspiration and energy. I have WeKnit to thank for an awful lot, wonderful new friends, laughter, inspiration, new skills, energy... the list goes on.

This post is about a new skill. I am always up for trying something new or learning something new. I firmly believe that we never stop learning from the relatively new things e.g. I must remember that step is there next time, to new skills and qualifications. This has lead me into all sorts of exciting chaos, including jumping out of a plane at 10,000 feet for charity and spending a week on a magnificent tall ship to mention but a few.

Anyways... At my LYS this month there is a theme/focus. Sue has called it Sock March - see her blog post for details, in short this includes a fantastic window display, and sock knitting lessons (you really do have to take a look at the blog). Now, about a year ago I did try my hand at making a pair of socks, but the 4ply yarn, 2.75mm needles and me didn’t exactly get off to a flying start. As explained in a previous post I pick crochet over knitting any day of the week. My first mistake with the socks had been that I didn’t realise that when you are using circular needles and doing stocking stitch you only need to knit, not knit a row, purl a row. My next mistake is I would completely forget whether I was knitting a row or purling a row - in short, it was a mess!

With Sock March in full swing and lots of people giving sock knitting a go I decided I couldn't be beaten by socks! I dug out 2 balls of Big Fabel from my stash that I had brought ages ago (gutted they have discontinued this!) and got myself some KnitPro 4mm needles. The Aran weight yarn and bigger needles made it so much easier and I soon got the grasp of the cuff and 'leg' part/top of the sock...

20.3.2016 - In fact I found myself unable to put it down and rather than tucking it away, when I thought it was long enough, until the heal turn lesson, I unscrewed the interchangeable needles and put them onto a fresh cable to cast on the 2nd sock!! Yes, the second sock!

Whilst the final games of the 6 nations were on this weekend I multi-tasked, listening to and watching parts of the rugby whilst knitting the second sock. I now have 2 socks ready for a heal turn!!

22.3.2016 - One heel successfully turned and I am pleased to say it really it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I was dreading the heel but once again the lovely Sue showed me the way and I've successfully managed a fish lips kiss heel. The question is, can I turn the second heel without Sue's expertise? I have continued to knit the foot of sock number 1, it won't be long before I'm ready for the toe lesson.  
It does however turn out that I can't multi-task, I have been wrapping the yarn the wrong way!! (clockwise instead of anticlockwise) Opps!


23.3.2016 - Happily turned the second heel with no more than the written instructions to prompt me! :) Happy bunny!

24.3.2016 - Successfully finished the first sock today, completing the toe (which I was dreading) using just written instructions :) I needn't have worried, just like the other parts this turned out to be less troulesome than anticipated. Happy, happy me!
Well to begin with ... When I tried it on I realised it doesn't fit, width wise. I suspect it is because I was wrapping the yarn clockwise to begin with (play spot the difference above) and so that part of the sock has far less give than where I had knitted correctly. I can just pull it on but its very tight!

I am still determined to succeed at socks and not be defeated. So here's the plan: I think I'm going to 'frog' my second sock back to the cuff and do it properly, saving some yarn. I also have enough yarn to redo the first sock. I won't frog the first one but think I may just keep for sentiment. Keep your eyes peeled for part 2...
Meanwhile have a lovely Easter all.

No comments:

Post a Comment