Monday 29 February 2016

DIY - Homemade duvet cover


As you may have guessed from previous posts, when I redecorated last year I went for a slight seaside theme. Neautral walls with blue accessories, in different blues so I didnt have to worry about any clashing or mismatched.

When I came to looking for new bedding I really struggled to find something I liked. I found a set in Seasalt that I loved but as much as I loved it I wasn't a fan of the price tag. In the end I decided to make my own - I confess now in hindsight that this was no mean feat.

 I started by picking some plain cottons in a sky blue, mid blue and navy. I also picked two polycottons in the same pattern (anchors, sail bats, light houses, life rings and ships wheels on), one with a white background a navy print and the other vice versa. The polycottons were very reasonable and a great way to add meterage to the project bag without costing the earth.



I also managed to source some sheet fabric which would be wide enough to form the backing of my duvet cover - for ease. This only came in cream in my local fabric shop and so I grabbed some Dylon fabric dye, a large bucket and some elastic bands. Tie dye!!


 

I then started the planning by laying the different fabrics across the bed to try and figure out an order. With a little bit of folding, adjusting and a bit of help from my lovely otherhalf, we came up with an order we liked and the different widths of the stripes of each fabric.


I was soon sewing strips of fabric together, even stitching a piece of webbing to add a narrow navy stripe between two of the fabrics

 The measuring and pinning of the front to the back and making sure it was all square was probably the hardest part as I had to find a space big enough to lay it all out (In my house this involved moving all the furntiure back to create a big open, clear, free of cat toys, space). After lots of pinning at least two pairs of hands working we finally got the front secured to the back and run through the machine.

Top Tip
You know its really annoying when you grab the duvet to pull it up round you in the night but find yourself holding and empty section of duvet cover because the duvet has slipped down inside. Well I had a plan to hopefully prevent the disappointment caused by a disappearing duvet. When stitching the top hem I stitched in some loops of elastic (nothing special just ordinary 1cm wide elastic) - one in each of the top two corners and one in the middle at the top. I then found some buttons in my stash of the right size and stitched one in each of the top two corners and one in the middle at the top, to secure buttons into loops and stop duvet slipage.

 


I was pretty pleased with how it has turned out. I have yet to complete the second set, as at the moment this one comes off the bed, into the wash and back on the bed.
I also started doing some embroidery for pillow cases but at the moment make do with plain and think I may embroider striaght on to those rather then onto plain fabric and sew pillow cases.
Here was my first attmept - was pretty pleased with it and will certainly try out some more embroidery on the pillow cases.

All in all I think the fabric cost me just over the price of one of the expensive duvet sets however I have plenty of fabric left over and have made 2 duvet sets from the fabric etc purchased. I will make some cushion covers etc. I dont have space for these in my current room at my parents however I full intend to transfer the theme to my own home one day. (Especially as me and my parnter choose bits and out it all together, together.)

No comments:

Post a Comment